Taylor Morey

Junior libero Taylor Morey leads the Big Ten in digs per set with 5.36 and has been a big part of Wisconsin’s 15-2 start to 2014.

Volleyball: UW sweeps Gophers, rematch Saturday

The No. 5 Badgers (6-1 Big Ten, 15-2 overall) defeated the No. 23 Golden Gophers (3-4, 13-5) Wednesday in three competitive sets of 25-16, 25-19 and 30-28, in the first of two matches this week between the border rivals.

Before this week’s double header, Wisconsin beat the two conference newcomers, Rutgers and Maryland, last weekend at the UW Field House moving them up to fifth spot in the NCAA rankings. In a press conference Monday, head coach Kelly Sheffield commented on the commendable teamwork his players displayed.

“I think we’re communicating a lot better. I think we’re working better as a team,” Sheffield said. “I think those are the things we’ve really tried to do.”

The increased communication and cohesiveness helped the Badgers pull out the three-set sweep over the Gophers. Leading the Badgers with a lofty advantage of 24 digs to the Gophers’ 13, junior libero Taylor Morey continues to the lead the Big Ten conference in digs per set. Sophomore setter Lauren Carlini also maintains her title with the most assists per set, earning 34 in Wednesday night’s match.

The first two sets of the match did not measure up to the intensity produced from the third set played on the Sports Pavilion court. The Gophers battled back at point 16 as sophomore outside hitter Sarah Wilhite maintained her serve for three points in a row, gaining a one-point advantage over the Badgers at 19-18. Both teams competed as kills came down from Minnesota’s leading outside hitter junior Daly Santana, totaling 17 for the match, and Wisconsin’s senior outside hitter Ellen Chapman with 12.

The Badgers beat the Gophers in kills throughout the match at 47-38, also finishing with fewer errors (13) than Minnesota (23). Both teams have little time to readjust game plans as the Badgers prepare to host the Gophers this Saturday at the Field House.

Sheffield has not competed in a back-to-back showing before, leaving him unsure of how to plan for it.

“I guess what it does allow is that you’re focusing on one team,” Sheffield said. “You get to go back, watch video. You get to train and prepare again and fix some of the things that didn’t go your way the first time and try and make it better.”

The neighboring states have more than just their volleyball standings on the line, but their school pride as well. Wednesday marked the first match in the annual border battle between the two schools. The competition, which Minnesota has won six times and Wisconsin four, spans across all sports and awards points based on head-to-head matchups. There are 20 points remaining for this weekend’s matchup.

Saturday’s match will begin at 7 p.m. and will be giving UW-Madison students free Wisconsin volleyball T-shirts while supplies last as part of the UW Student Block Party.