Courtney Thomas

Courtney Thomas (left) led the attack over a premier opponent with 10 kills.

Volleyball: UW moves into first place with sweep of Nebraska

The No. 5 Badgers’ (9-1 Big Ten, 18-2 overall) win streak continued after they defeated No. 14 Nebraska (6-4, 12-7) Sunday afternoon at the UW Field House. Wisconsin swept Nebraska in three sets 25-19, 25-21, 25-18.

The sold-out crowd fueled the Badgers’ momentum and has been a great asset to their season, according to the top attacker of the match, senior outside hitter Courtney Thomas.

“The energy and the atmosphere when we are down helps so much with motivation,” Thomas said. “They did a really good job today.”

Thomas had 10 kills in Sunday’s match, followed closely by sophomore setter Lauren Carlini with nine. Carlini’s setting was consistent throughout the entire match, and enjoyed the chance to swing at a ball.

“It’s always awesome to get overpasses,” Carlini said. “I get so jacked up and everyone else gets so excited for me.”

Nebraska’s hitting was led by twin sophomore outside hitters Amber and Kadie Rolfzen. Amber Rolfzen totaled 10 kills while Kadie Rolfzen tailed closely behind with nine. Although Nebraska showed a competitive offense, Wisconsin’s defense prevailed.

Junior libero Taylor Morey played aggressive defense and tied her career record digs per match at 29.

“I give a lot of credit to my blockers, defense is about mentality and taking pride in your side of the court,” Morey said. “It’s easy to dig behind a well-formed block.”

Carlini and the rest of the Badgers played tougher because of Morey’s tight defense.

“We get so much more momentum for our side when we see her get these crazy good ups,” Carlini said. “It makes us want to transition and kill immediately.”

Head coach Kelly Sheffield also complemented Morey’s efforts on the court.

“Some people shrink when the lights get a little brighter, but she is not one of those players,” Sheffield said. “You’re seeing a player getting better and better and more confident, and I thought she was great tonight.”

The Badgers broke their multi-decade losing streak against Nebraska in the match. Wisconsin had not beat Nebraska since 1978, and Sheffield was proud of his team for their win.

“The players like challenges, so when you find something to get going a little bit they won’t blow that off,” Sheffield said. “This team knew there was a lot of alumnaes in the building so part of that win was for those guys.”

Wisconsin has won nine straight matches, but will only take the season match-by-match to maintain their focus.

“We’re definitely proud of this winning streak, but now it’s onto the next opponent and they [Purdue] are a good team,” Morey said. “We are not looking ahead or behind, just tuned into the upcoming opponent.”

Wisconsin plays No. 13 Purdue (8-2, 18-4) in West Lafayette, Indiana Wednesday night.

“This Sunday and then Wednesday turn around and we are playing a team that is second in the league in 72 hours,” Sheffield said. “They don’t give any medal or cookies for those who finish first halfway through, so there is a long part of the season left and we need to continue to get better.”