Ellen Chapman

Defensive adjustments from Ellen Chapman (right) and the rest of the Badgers’ front line will be key in their back-to-back matches against a Gophers team that likes to switch formations.

Volleyball: There and back again for Badgers in Border Battle

Unlike in usual seasons, all 40 volleyball points for the 2014-’15 Border Battle, an all-sport contest between the athletic departments of Wisconsin and Minnesota, are on the line this week when the No. 5 Badgers (14-1, 5-2) take on No. 23 Minnesota (13-4, 3-3) in a home and away tilt.

The first game in this back-to-back matchup will be on Wednesday when Wisconsin travels to Minnesota, followed by both teams facing off at the UW Field House on Saturday night. This is a new experience for both Badger players and head coach Kelly Sheffield, as back-to-back games against the same team is not something they are used to preparing for.

“I guess what it does allow, is that you’re focusing on one team,” Sheffield said. “You get to go back, watch video. You get to train and prepare again and fix some of the things that didn’t go your way the first time and try and make it better.”

Sophomore setter Lauren Carlini echoed her coach’s thoughts recognizing that she hasn’t experienced this type of scheduling for a long time but was looking forward to the opportunity.

“I kind of like it,” Carlini said. “Having a whole week just dedicated to one team and depending on how the first game goes you can make adjustments for the second game.”

Wisconsin is coming off arguably the easiest stretch of their Big Ten schedule, as they swept newcomers to the Big Ten Rutgers and Maryland at home this past weekend. Now comes another test for the Badgers, as they have lost their last six games at Minnesota. That losing streak has not fallen lightly on the Badgers.

“The seniors haven’t won at Minnesota, so it’s kind of just going out there with a chip on our shoulder and showing them this isn’t going to be a one-sided rivalry anymore,” Carlini said.

Senior outside hitter Courtney Thomas, who has experienced most of the away losses, was also ready to end the streak.

“Winning at Minnesota will be awesome,” Thomas said. “Minnesota is our rival and we’re going to make them our rival and stop them from owning us.”

Minnesota navigated through their non-conference barely missing a beat as they went 11-1. However, the losses started to roll in as Big Ten play started. After beating Ohio State to open Big Ten play, the Gophers lost three games in a row to No. 7 Penn State, No. 15 Illinois and Northwestern. Following these losses, Minnesota had an easy time against Rutgers and Maryland in their next two games, sweeping both teams.

Despite these losses, Sheffield knows that Minnesota is still not a team to overlook.

“They’re getting better is the team that I’m seeing,” Sheffield said. “You know, their serving is getting better. Their passing is getting better, their system play is really, really good. It’s a team that’s a lot better than what their record is, and obviously very well coached.”

In usual Badger fashion, the team seems cool and ready to handle Minnesota even though the Gophers seem to switch between playing with two setters and a 5-1 offense.

“Whatever happens we know what to do,” Thomas said. “It’s a little more challenging but our team is pretty good at handling the scouting report, so I’m not too worried about it.”

Following the game at the Twin Cities, Wisconsin will make adjustments and return home to the Field House for a match in front of the third-most crowded volleyball venue in the nation.