Virology professor receives award for influenza work

Yoshihiro Kawaoka, a virology professor at UW-Madison, received an award Tuesday for his research in understanding and preventing pandemic influenza.

Kawaoka researches the influenza virus, specifically the mechanics of interspecies transmission of the virus that leads to influenza pandemics in humans. He also studies the Ebola virus and its role in viral proteins and viral replication.

Popular Mechanics, a science and technology magazine, selected Kawaoka as a Breakthrough Award recipient for his research in mutations of viruses, similar to Ebola, that could “help protect humanity,” according to a university press release.

"We know Ebola is a big issue in Africa right now, but Kawaoka's investigations into influenza—which is in fact a constant and greater threat to public health in the United States—could help us avoid or beat back the type of flu viruses that have erupted into deadly pandemics in the past," Ryan D'Agostino, Popular Mechanics editor-in-chief, said in the release.

In the past, Kawaoka had been criticized for his work trying to better understand viruses and create drugs to fight them. Part of his experimentation involved constructing a virus similar to the 1918 pandemic flu virus that killed 50 million people.

Despite controversies, Kawaoka said he is grateful for receiving this prestigious award.

"I don't put any awards on the wall,” Kawaoka said. “This one, I will.”

The professor accompanies outstanding innovators, engineers and scientists who have made world-changing contributions in the past decade, including humanitarian engineer Amy Smith and Tesla Motors CEO Elon Musk. Popular Mechanics will feature Kawaoka in an article Oct. 14.