UW-Madison ties for second-most Fulbright grant winners

Seven UW-Madison doctoral students received grants totalling $306,628 through the Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad program.

UW-Madison tied the University of California-Berkeley for the second-highest number of students to receive awards from the U.S. Department of Education Fulbright program.

Only 83 students received Fulbright DDRA fellowships across the country.

Former U.S. Sen. J. William Fulbright, D-Ark., created the program when he sponsored legislation for several programs meant to increase mutual understanding between American and the rest of the world.

The award recipients will use these grants to conduct research in other countries for six to 12 months, according to a university press release.

Recipient Jacob Blanc received $45,204 to study history in Brazil and Paraguay, specifically the meanings of land and opposition in the Brazilian military, according to the release.

David Chambers, a geography student, will use his $48,265 in Thailand to study the creation of good space among Thailand’s Hmong.

Educational policy student Amy Porter received $26,447 to study poverty and enterprise, specifically negotiating good economic practice in Dakar, Senegal.

Brett Reilly received $80,669 to study the history of the state of Vietnam in France.

Nancy Rydberg received $21,212 to study educational policy and development studies in Uganda, focusing on local engagements with global girls’ education discourses in post-conflict Northern Uganda.

Geography student William Shattuck received $34,733 to study roadblocks toward political change.

Finally, environmental studies student Sarah Sefanos received $50,100 to study cotton, diaspora and development in Ethiopia.