Ron Johnson

U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Wis., meets with UW-Madison College Republicans to discuss pressing political issues ranging from ISIS to the economy.

U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson talks politics with students

U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Wis., spoke with UW-Madison College Republicans Tuesday night about his thoughts on pressing issues that Americans face today.

Johnson has been in the Senate since 2010 and serves on numerous committees including the Committee on Budget, Small Business and Entrepreneurship, Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs and Foreign Relations. He also serves as a ranking member of the Subcommittee of European Affairs and Financial and Contracting Oversight.

The senator said the Declaration of Independence is similar to a letter of intent and the U.S. Constitution is a contract.

“America’s letter of intent is the vision of our country; we are given unalienable rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness,” Johnson said.

Johnson argued the founding fathers wanted limited government to promote prosperity.

“The pursuit of happiness is a pretty serious thing, it is not easy to achieve,” Johnson said. “However, it is a God given right to pursue happiness.”

Engaged students asked questions ranging from the economy to foreign policy.

Johnson argued for strong military presence to stabilize the Middle East and to fight the Islamic State. The senator made the point that the Obama administration should have not demilitarized Iraq because he argued ISIS is rising from the ashes of Al Qaeda and Iraq.

Johnson agreed with Obama that the Arab countries need to see the full potential of their people by diversifying their economy, instead of relying on oil wealth. In addition, the senator argued for Arab countries to renounce the extreme version of Islam that promotes terror.

If there was a vote to put military on the ground, Johnson said he would vote yes.

“Islamic terror have declared war on us, our only choice is whether we are going to play defense or offense,” Johnson said. “I would choose to be on the offense. I would rather choose to fight them over there than to fight them here on our homeland.”

Johnson said he will continue to support Gov. Scott Walker and other Republican candidates in the upcoming election by speaking with students. He said students’ futures are at stake and students are the future of the country.