David 'Arjuna' Meinert

Trumpeter David 'Arjuna' Meinert fills State Street with the melodious rhythm and blues he learned studying at UW-Madison.

The Captiol Profiles: Meet David 'Arjuna' Meinert

As the days grow colder, the increasingly monotonous walk down State Street has been brightened for many by the clear, resounding sound of trumpet music.

These strident melodies are the work of David “Arjuna” Meinert, a Madison-born musician who has been playing the trumpet for several decades.

Meinert’s colorful personality is rivaled only by his appearance.

He is decorated with several necklaces, multiple silver rings on each hand and a red music note-patterned tie.

Just by looking at him, one may not believe the trumpeter has ever experienced homelessness.

After graduating from the Monona Grove School District, Meinert studied jazz under renowned UW-Madison music professor Jimmy Cheatham.

“I learned incredible art,” Meinert said. “That was all I wanted to do from sunup to sunset, was play rhythm and blues.”

In the 1970s Meinert took his talents to Harlem, New York.

He began playing Puerto Rican salsa music in the Hispanic district where he became known as “El Diablo Blanco,” or “The White Devil.”

Meinert said his happiest music memory is playing in those bars. He can still recall the names of each band member.

By 1992, the Harlem music scene had grown less glamorous to Meinert.

He had become addicted to crack cocaine and was spending his nights in homeless shelters.

Meinert's circumstances were made more challenging by his struggle with bipolar disorder, which he developed during his early years in Harlem.

Meinert knew he needed to return home when he fell violently ill, spitting up black blood because he had contracted tuberculosis.

With the help and financial support of his older sister, Meinert returned to Madison and underwent treatment.

Today, a healthy Meinert takes pleasure in gracing the citizens of Madison with his musical talents, but his experiences in Harlem gave him a different perspective on homelessness.

“Do you know why homeless people exist?” Meinert asked. “Every one of them is a product, a son or a daughter of mental illness.”

But when asked what his biggest personal struggle with mental illness has been, his answer was surprising.

“Nothing. I have no trouble with being a manic depressant,” Meinert said. “I have never felt sorry, I have fought my way through everything.”