Sexual assault protest

UW-Madison students and supporters of sexual assault victims marched to Bascom Hill last month to call for improvements to campus policy in investigating sexual assault complaints.

Students organize to protest sexual assault policy

UW-Madison students and supporters of sexual assault victims marched on Bascom Hill Wednesday to protest what they consider to be an inadequate university policy regarding sexual assault.

UW-Madison senior Sarah Healy organized Carry that Weight Day of Action as part of a series of protests on college campuses nationwide. The events were inspired by Columbia University student Emma Sulkowicz, who resolved to carry her dorm mattress around campus until the school expels her rapist.

“This is to show our solidarity with rape victims on campus,” Healy said. “There is a culture here that means that we don’t talk about [rape and sexual assault], and there is a lot of mishandling by the UW administration. We want to call attention to these things.”

Healy pointed to the lack of administrative response after one of her friends was sexually assaulted as an example of what she considers to be weak university policies.

“After my friend reported the assault, they came back to her and said that the perpetrator seemed really sorry and that they wouldn’t pursue [investigating] it,” she said.

UW Extension employee and 2012 alumna Lydia Roussos, one of the roughly 50 protesters, also criticized the administration.

“It is important that the administration know that the way they take care of issues involving sexual assault is unacceptable,” Roussos said. “They want to brush victims of sexual assault under the rug for appearance and business reasons.”

2012 alumnus Brandon Clementi, also a UW Extension employee, said he sees the issue as important for both sexes.

“If only women stood up for equality, that wouldn’t accomplish anything,” Clementi said. “This is an issue that affects everyone, not just women, and should be supported by everyone.”

Director of University of Health Services Sarah Van Orman said in a phone interview she supports the protesters but defends the university’s strategies to combat sexual assault.

“I am supportive of the continued awareness of rape and sexual assault and am happy to discuss the work done here on campus,” Van Orman said. “We are committed to meeting the needs of survivors, holding perpetrators accountable and hearing from students about what we can do better.”