State announces plan in case of Ebola outbreak

Wisconsin has plans to respond in the event of Ebola being identified in the state, according to a Wisconsin Department of Health Services press release last week.

No one has contracted the Ebola virus in Wisconsin but plans have been implemented in the case of an emergency.

“We understand people are concerned about the Ebola virus, especially with a recently diagnosed case in the United States,” Karen McKeown, State Health Officer, said in the release. “While there are no cases of Ebola in Wisconsin, and the risk of contracting it remains low it’s important that medical and public health professionals are able to respond in the event there is a case in the state.”

President Barack Obama updated the country Wednesday about the outbreak in Dallas and the strategy being implemented to contain the disease. "The dangers of a serious outbreak are extraordinarily low in the U.S.,” Obama said, "But we are taking this very seriously at the highest levels of government."

U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Wis., said leadership needs to be stronger.

“Responding to the threat of Ebola should include restricting the travel of individuals that have recently been in affected nations or those exposed to Ebola patients,” Johnson said.

McKeown reiterated the unlikelihood of the Ebola virus coming into Wisconsin but said the DHS will continue to work with the Center of Disease Control and Prevention on procedures and developments.

“Ebola is only spread through contact with the body fluids of people who are sick with the virus. It cannot be transmitted through the air,” McKeown continued in the statement. “In fact, influenza is more contagious than the Ebola virus. That said, DHS remains vigilant in its monitoring of the Ebola virus, and will continue to provide our partners and the public with the most current information and guidance concerning this disease.”