State agencies focus on public education of voter ID law

A growing number of state agencies are turning their attention to increasing public awareness of Wisconsin’s voter ID law, recently reinstated by a federal appeals court, after the release of a poll indicating a lack of understanding of the legislation.

Dane County Clerk Scott McDonell obtained $45,000 Friday from the city of Madison and Dane County to run three outreach advertisements on cable and network television channels, according to a Friday release. McDonell created three public service announcements targeting different groups after the Marquette University Law School released its poll results.

The results, released earlier this September, explained the need for a voter ID awareness campaign, McDonell said in the release.

“According to [the poll], one in five voters around the state are unaware of the recent court ruling requiring a valid ID to vote on Nov. 4,” McDonell said. “This campaign is designed to let voters know of the new rules in the few days remaining before the election.”

Statewide agencies have worked to promote outreach efforts as well in the past days.

The state’s Government Accountability Board updated its 2012 awareness campaign, “Bring It to the Ballot,” to apply to the new voter ID regulations in response to the poll, according to a statement last week. The GAB requested $460,800 Tuesday from the state Legislature for the campaign.

The campaign’s urgency has increased as the election draws nearer, according to the GAB.