SSFC

Badger Catholic asked the ASM Student Services Finance Committee for approval of their 2015-'16 budget Thursday.

SSFC lowers Sex Out Loud 2015-’16 budget

The Associated Students of Madison Students Services Finance Committee approved a slightly decreased 2015-’16 budget for Sex Out Loud at its meeting Thursday.

Sex Out Loud, an organization promoting sexual health on campus, provides sexual education workshops as well as safe sex supplies.

In the plan it presented to SSFC Monday, Sex Out Loud had requested a total budget of $99,989. However, SSFC Secretary Brett Ducharme expressed a concern over the amount of $18,500 for supply funding in the requested budget and proposed a change.

SSFC Vice Chair Thuy Pham expressed to the committee the importance of understanding that funds should be used wisely since they come from student fees.

“When we’re talking about doing the budget, we need to think about how we can be responsible with our budget every year because every move we make is going to affect student money,” Pham said.

Representatives determined to cut the supply line funding by $2,500 to a total of $16,000. The committee then approved the revised total budget of $97,489. 

SSFC also heard a budget presentation from the student organization Badger Catholic, which is a campus group that aims to connect students to a faith that can help them lead deeper lives as well as benefit those around them, according to their mission statement.

Badger Catholic’s Core Programs include one-on-one spiritual mentoring and advising as well as service projects that take place locally and across the nation, according to representatives from the group. National service trips take place over winter and spring break and involve working with groups such as Habitat for Humanity. Local service events take place every week.

Badger Catholic is requesting a budget of $90,890.75 for 2015-’16, which is a slight decrease from its 2014-’15 budget of $95,755.80

Before concluding the meeting, SSFC Chair Devon Maier heard nominations for an appointee to the Master Plan Subcommittee, designed to aid in planning for the carrying out of the recently passed Rec Sports Master Plan. Committee member Cheyenne Langkamp accepted a nomination.

SSFC will hold its next meeting Monday, where it will make a decision regarding the requested Badger Catholic budget.

*Cheyenne Langkamp is a Daily Cardinal staffer