Ron Pope

Ron Pope commanded the stage at Madison’s High Noon Saloon last Friday Oct. 3.

Ron Pope impresses amidst dissatisfaction

Known the world over for his internet hit, “A Drop In The Ocean,” Ron Pope graced the stage of the High Noon Saloon this Friday with a performance that was energetic and fun. Despite a disrespectful crowd, he worked the room to salvage the night and demonstrate his mastery as a performer.

Von Grey, an Atlanta-based band of sisters who are all under the age of 20, opened the show. Theirs is a synth-rock with promise still waiting to grow into its skin. The young girls seemed embarrassed to be on stage in front of so many people. Despite their flat performance, the arrangements were unique and full, with a cello instead of a bass and a computer instead of a drummer. Crisp pizzicato violin parts floated over grimy, fuzzed-out electric guitars echoing with delay. They wrapped up their short set with a surprisingly timid song named “Bad Bitch,” the chorus of which plainly summarized their overly self-aware performance: “Oh my god / who knew it would be so hard / to be a bad bitch.”

Next in line was a forgettable alt-rock band named Frances Cone. Their drummer had a shaker taped to his drumstick—he was that bad. Their guitarist had a penchant for writing parts comprised of one or two notes repeated for an entire verse. Breathy singer Christina Cone wore an oversized t-shirt that made it look like she was pants-less, which, based on the murmuring of the crowd, was the most noteworthy part of their entire performance. Despite all of these shortcomings, they seemed like kind, introverted people with a quirky sense of humor, who likely make better friends than they do performers.

Ron Pope then rushed the stage with confident, brute- force enthusiasm. After two dull and bashful acts, Pope’s seasoned fearlessness was refreshing. He swiveled his hips in a somewhat unorthodox dance-move, but coupled with his sex-god-who-looks-like-Jesus image and his look-how-into-this-I-am guitar faces, he sold it with grace.

Pope put on a relentless show with great energy for the better part of two hours. His banter was witty and captivating. His band was incredible. The drummer was confident and solid, and his pedal-steel-playing multi instrumentalist provided some truly breathtaking solos. There were a number of high points, including when he brought up a giggly, red-eyed Frances Cone to accompany him on background vocals. Combined with the voices of his entire band, the effect was like a gospel choir.

The worst part of his show had nothing to do with his performance. It was clear that much of the audience knew him only for his hit single. In between songs, crowd members called out “Drop In The Ocean!” over and over like drunks yelling “Freebird!” at a county fair. Pope did his best to ignore it, but by the end of the show it was clear that he was justifiably irritated. “Guys, you’re making me not want to play it,” he pleaded as he sat down at the piano to close out the night. “I am not your iPod! I am not your iPod!” Still, he gave the crowd what they wanted, ending the night with a strained, obligatory sing-a-long of the single that he probably wishes he had never written. It was a necessary, but troubling end to an otherwise wonderful performance.