Chris Webby

Record Routine: Chris Webby riding high on auspicious debut album

For over six years, Chris Webby has been working hard to establish himself. With over 10 EPs, mixtapes and a number of wide-reaching tours under his belt, he has developed a devout following and earned massive critical acclaim, poising him perfectly for his first full length album. With Chemically Imbalanced, Webby makes his triumphant debut as an versatile, seasoned professional ready to enter the mainstream.

Chemically Imbalanced is a mix of braggadocio and party songs, interspersed with “Cyphers,” in which Webby simulates the sound of freestyle circles by rapping with no accompaniment other than a beatboxer. These interludes are important signals: Webby’s focus is not production, but the technical performance of rap music.

The production through most of the album is boring and heavy-handed, but not in a way that detracts much from the music. The instrumental backdrops serve their purpose: getting out of the way so Webby can put his lyrics and rhythmic talents on display. Save a few guest verses and guitar solos, the entire album is Webby laying his brilliance over somewhat flat beats, and it works surprisingly well.

Webby is a truly talented emcee. In this album he demonstrates his versatility as an artist. At various points he highlights his mastery of wordplay (“Fuck Off“), complex rhythm (“Brim Low,” “Ohh Noo (feat. Jarren Benton & Tech N9ne)”) and hook orchestration (“R.A.D. (Roll A Doobie)”). His technical prowess never interferes with his central mission: making common sense, relatable music listeners can personally connect with. Webby walks the tightrope between cultivating virtuosity and remaining down-to-earth with finesse.

True to its name, the album deals heavily with Webby’s drug use. This is a common historical theme in his music. Webby claims to smoke an eighth of marijuana per day, on top of a great deal of ecstasy and some Adderall prescribed for his ADHD. Songs like “Let’s Do It Again” outline the party lifestyle he has maintained into his late twenties. Though (according to “Chemically Imbalanced”) he has been living this way since high school, he seems to be able to keep his drug use at an equilibrium. Despite his substance use, he got a scholarship to college and has been consistently prolific since he entered the rap game.

Chemically Imbalanced is the crowning achievement of Webby’s career as a so-much-more-than-nerdcore mastermind. It is an impressive debut album laying the groundwork for what will hopefully be a very long career.

Rating: A-