Men's Soccer: Badgers tie Loyola

A game after scoring a goal in the opening two minutes, it was the Badgers (2-8-2) who found themselves down an early goal Wednesday against Loyola (4-4-3). Wisconsin rebounded to force overtime, their fourth of the season, and walk away with a 1-1 tie.

Just 48 seconds into the match and before the Badgers even had the chance to touch the ball, Loyola took a 1-0 lead on senior midfielder Ben Crognale’s first goal of the season. Following a pass from sophomore midfielder/defender Kirill Likhovid, Crognale dribbled the ball in close and put it in from about six yards out.

The Badgers, however, were able to answer early in the match. In the 18th minute, the Ramblers were unable to clear a pass in front of the net by freshman forward Mark Segbers and after some action by the goal, freshman forward Tom Barlow was able to knock it in for his fourth goal of the season.

“It was a beautiful pass by Mark, and then a good decision by Mike [Catalano] to get it back in front of goal and Tommy gets rewarded,” said head coach John Trask.

Though that would be the end of the scoring on the night, both teams had opportunities to take the lead.

The Ramblers, who outshot the Badgers 12-11, nearly went ahead in the final 15 minutes, hitting the post on a long-range attempt.

Segbers nearly ended the game for the Badgers, who hit a post of their own in the first overtime period, one of the team’s four shots in extra time after having just two in the second half.

With four minutes left in the second overtime, the Badgers appeared to get the game winner on what would have been Barlow’s second of the game. After the initial celebration, the referee signaled for offsides, disallowing the goal.

“Unfortunately on the one in overtime, you know, Tommy’s just a shade offsides when Adam [Lauko] knocks it back across the goal mouth or he gets two, you know, inside the six [yard box],” Trask said. “It’s unfortunate, it would’ve been great to see Tommy get the game winner there.”

Although they were unable to finish and get the win, the Badgers were able to pick up points for the second time in their last three matches, and despite the disappointment of a tie, Trask was optimistic that the experience would help them going forward.

“To start winning games in overtime, rather than tying them or losing them, is a big jump in these guys’ development,” Trask said.

The Badgers will remain home and take on Ohio State Saturday. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. at the McClimon Complex.