Madison Comedy Festival set to showcase veritable comedy superstars

This week Madison has the privilege of showcasing some of the country’s best active comedians for the new and annual Comedy Festival. Before you scramble to buy tickets to each show or even snag one of the prized VIP packages that includes tickets to each show, VIP access to a Saturday night after party, front-of-the-line access and a swag bag full of awesome gifts, take a moment to get to know these hilarious performers.

Nick Offerman

Widely referred to as “Ron Swanson,” Nick Offerman is a trained theater actor and genuinely hilarious man. His break into the limelight as Swanson on “Parks and Recreation” catapulted him into pop culture history as the sweetest man’s man. His stand up usually consists of a swirl of musical comedy and fascinating anecdotes. Offerman utilizes the one-man format to explore comedic voices not seen on his television and film characters. Topics range from oral sex advice to tips on woodworking. Audience members can expect an engaging, hilarious and emotionally satisfying performance Offerman, that burly sweetheart.

Pete Holmes

Pete Holmes is a comedy legend, appearing on almost all late night shows and even hosting his own after “Conan,” “The Pete Holmes Show.” His unique voice landed him the spot as the famous E-Trade Baby. Holmes tours the nation frequently, performing stand up and recording his part-comedy, part-philosophical podcast “You Made It Weird.” At the Madison Comedy Festival, Holmes will be performing stand-up on October 16 and recording his podcast Friday evening. The charming and warming vibe Pete Holmes exudes during his performances make for an interactive, communal feeling throughout the audience.

Chris D’Elia

Chris D’Elia has been performing stand-up in the Los Angeles area for over eight years, forming a strong following that led to him premiering on Comedy Central’s “Live at Gotham” and “Comedy Central Presents.” His latest hour-long special, “White Male Black Comic,” has earned him national recognition and a nearly sold-out tour. D’Elia was featured on “Workaholics” as the fan favorite cool-guy-pedophile Topher. Part of the reason why D’Elia’s stand up stands out is his ability to spend a good portion of his set working the crowd and riffing on the spot. Few comics can rely on improvised material as well as D’Elia does, which makes him a performer you’ll want to see while he’s in town.

John Hodgman

“The Daily Show” correspondent and comedic genius, Hodgman perfectly embodies the socially aware and culturally rich attitude seen in such icons as John Oliver and Louis C.K. Hodgman first received national attention as the “PC” in Apple’s PC vs. Mac commercials. His stand up consists of satirical commentary on current events, as well as audience interactions sometimes involving bringing people onstage to further joke premises. Hodgman has been known to develop an act in which he puts on a hideous 1950s dress and imitates writer Ayn Rand. This weekend he will contrast the styling of his fellow comics with a more intellectual and mature show packed with witty commentary on the state of the world.

Margaret Cho

A true comedienne legend, Margaret Cho has been doing comedy for over 20 years, opening for Jerry Seinfeld and Bob Hope before headlining her own shows. Beyond stand up she has acted in film and TV, appearing in the Nicolas Cage classic “Face/Off,” and guest starring in episodes of “Sex and the City” and “30 Rock,” as well as starring in her own sitcom “All-American Girl.” Cho’s comedy usually centers on themes such as the LGBT community and her Korean heritage. Her longstanding career as a performer has garnered her respect in all comedy communities, and her performance this week will be one not to miss.