Gov. Scott Walker

Gov. Scott Walker came under fire in a letter sent by Democratic legislators for refusing a federal grant for early childhood education.

Democrats criticize Gov. Scott Walker for refusing early education grants

State Rep. Terese Berceau, D-Madison, joined other Wisconsin Democrats in a letter criticizing Gov. Scott Walker for declining up to $60 million in early education grants last week.

Walker failed to apply for the federal Preschool Development Expansion Grants offered through the U.S. Departments of Education and Health and Human Services by the deadline last Friday. Wisconsin was one of 36 states eligible for the grants.

Berceau, who represents the campus area in the state Assembly, sent a letter to Walker expressing her disappointment in his decision to turn away the taxpayer-funded grants.

“Directing resources to quality preschool programs is one of the best investments we can make,” the legislators said in the letter.

Berceau cited a study by the Perry Preschool Program in Michigan claiming increased spending on early education resulted in students who are more likely to stay in school and find jobs while being less likely to be arrested and be dependent on welfare.

“To reject this grant money means Wisconsin will lose out on almost $1 billion in future benefits,” the representatives continued in the letter.

Berceau went on to accuse Walker of making a partisan decision that will have negative long-term effects in Wisconsin.

“Caring about children and maximizing their potential shouldn’t be a partisan issue,” Berceau said in the letter.

The letter concluded by claiming that as a result of Walker’s decision, “children won’t get the kind of quality, early education they deserve.”