De la Renta sophistication lives on

Iconic designer Oscar de la Renta, a man who fostered so many legendary creations that he became a legend himself, passed away at his home in Kent, Connecticut last Monday. He was 82.

For nearly half a century, he produced fun, feminine designs for women worldwide.

Unknown to many, he also produced a fragrance line as well as a furniture and home decor collection.

Born in 1932 in the Dominican Republic, de la Renta credited his love for color, light and the exotic to his island life, according to an interview with The New York Times.

Upon leaving his birthplace, he obtained an apprenticeship with Spanish designer Cristóbal Balenciaga, founder of the Balenciaga fashion house.

De la Renta then moved to Paris where he was offered a job working as a couture assistant at Lanvin.

Many say this was where he truly finessed his design skills and eye for women’s fashion.

The budding legend then came to New York to work under Elizabeth Arden for two years, after which he branched out and released his personal name brand in 1965.

This brand revolutionized women’s clothing with its emphasis on ready-to-wear ensembles, use of delicate, feminine silhouettes and vivid color palettes.

In no time at all, the name de la Renta became synonymous with effortless, highly sought-after luxury.

De la Renta dressed a myriad of celebrities over the course of his life, as well as numerous successful and distinguished women who all applauded the standard of sophistication that was never absent from his work.

His gowns became the preferred wear of several American first ladies.

Jackie Kennedy and Nancy Reagan often sported de la Renta’s creations.

Later, he continued to run in political cirlces as he designed inaugural dresses for Hillary Clinton as well as Laura Bush.

The designer’s most recent work of art before his death was seen in Venice at the highly anticipated wedding between George Clooney and renowned lawyer Amal Alamuddin.

Alamuddin’s dress exuded all the glamour and sophistication expected from de la Renta.

In addition to his tremendous impact on haute couture, de la Renta was also a devoted philanthropist and patron of the arts.

He served on the boards of the Metropolitan Opera and Carnegie Hall, as well as several charitable organizations including New Yorkers for Children, the Spanish Institute and the Americas Society.

De la Renta also focused on altruistic work close to home; the designer founded the Casa del Niño orphanage in Santa Romana and contributed to the construction of a school near his birthplace.

The legendary “sultan of suave” as dubbed by former Council of Fashion Designers of America executive director Fern Mallis, was diagnosed with cancer in 2006.

He passed away from complications of the disease, surrounded by family.

A small, private mass for relatives and close friends is to be held Nov. 4 at the Church of St. Ignatius Loyola on Park Avenue in Manhattan, according to Vogue magazine.

Adored by Hollywood stars, successful socialites and everyday design enthusiasts around the world, De la Renta’s legacy of philanthropy, finesse and fine women’s fashion will not soon be forgotten.