Dane County official announces 2015 county budget plan

Dane County Executive Joe Parisi presented his 2015 budget plan for Dane County Wednesday, according to a Dane County news release.

Pairisi’s budget plan includes $540 million for operating expenses and a $39 million capital budget for improvements to the county. The proposed budget also addresses homelessness, emergency response and community development.

To increase affordable housing options, the budget includes $750,000 to move 42 families from homeless shelters and streets into subsidized housing.

Additionally, to improve the Dane County Emergency Management’s ability to react under urgent situations, the budget includes $100,000 to upgrade the DCEM’s Incident Command Vehicle for emergency situations.

The budget also includes $20,000 to help Dane County’s increasing Latino population find more opportunities for economic development and affordable housing.

The budget has $1.6 million planned for seven new natural gas snowplows, which will cost 75 percent less than the current diesel fuel snowplows.

Finally, Parisi’s proposed budget plan has a slight 4.07 percent increase in total funds compared to the last budget cycle. The new plan will next be sent to the Dane County Board for further consideration and approval.