College Republicans rally early voters

UW-Madison College Republicans made history Tuesday by hosting the organization’s first ever early voting rally, which was to build student support for Gov. Scott Walker one week before the Nov. 4 election.

“We’ve never done an event like this on campus,” group leader Charlie Hoffmann said. “[UW-Madison] College Democrats are really good at getting students to the polls early, so we tried to take a page out of their playbook.”

Hoffmann said the group registered roughly 30 new voters at the event, votes he sees as significant. A recent Marquette University Law School poll reported the race as a virtual tie between Walker and Democratic challenger Mary Burke.

“These are votes that we wouldn’t have gotten otherwise if we didn’t provide an event like this,” Hoffmann said. “Giving students an opportunity to get out to the polls is something that can make a difference.”

UW-Madison sophomore and real estate major Lauren Cherney, one of the roughly 50 students in attendance, said she sees the event as an important vehicle for informing students and ensuring they vote.

“Events like this, which get people out to vote and inform them, are a good thing,” Cherney said.

She also expressed enthusiasm for Walker and his policies.

“I think what [Walker] has done in his previous term is indicative of what he will do in the future,” she said.

Following brief remarks from Hoffmann, students went to the City Clerk’s office to cast their ballot early.