Cartoon inspires viewer critical thinking

Rick and Morty” is a new and popular show from Adult Swim that real cartoon and science fans should view. The Internet Movie Database (IMDb) has already rated it a 9.2 and ranked it as the 11th- best TV show of all time, putting it in the company of “Breaking Bad” and “The Sopranos.” All this success has come after only one season, which aired its pilot in December 2013. 

The show is an animated comedy that follows alcoholic scientist Rick Sanchez, and his grandson, Morty Smith, on their various futuristic adventures. In addition to the playful humor, creators Justin Roiland and Dan Harmon satirically critique different cultural elements involving ambiguity seen in America today. 

The series has a message of promoting the exactness of science and randomness of social sciences and religion. No topic seems to be off—limits for Roiland and Harmon. The show pokes fun at topics such as religion, politics, corporate influence, philosophy, life’s meaning, love, sex, and of course, drugs.

In the first minute of the pilot episode, Rick’s granddaughter Summer says, “Oh my God my parents are so loud I want to die.” Rick responds, “Mm, there is no God, Summer, got to rip that Band-Aid off now, you’ll thank me later.” He then proceeds to critique modern traditional schooling techniques.

Rick’s occasional one liner that critique one subject or another are foiled by his son in law Jerry Smith, a failed ad agency worker who studied civics in college. Jerry’s stupidity is often highlighted by his comments he makes such as “Sometimes science is about conviction,” or his commonly repeated phrase, “I don’t get it, and I don’t need to.” Jerry being illustrated as a less intelligent character who went to college for government illustrates one overarching theme of the show, which is advocating for scientific progress supported by facts, rather than vague stagnation supported by opinions.

The show also incorporates a literary and pop culture theme. Multiple titles of the episodes are puns based off the names of books, such as “Something Ricked this Way Comes” (based off of the 1962 Ray Bradbury novel, “Something Wicked This Way Comes,” and movies, such as“Ricksy Business.”

The show takes has a nihilistic tone. This is epitomized in one of the show’s most popular quotes. “Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. We are all going to die. Come watch TV?” Despite this pessimism, the show applies to all audiences and all audiences should watch this show. Rick and Morty touches on themes that are thought provoking while including a bit of obscene humor. The show captures that combination so well it can provide the viewer with entertainment and perspective at the same time. This is something not done by many other of the popular cartoons on adult television. 

In addition, the promotion of scientific fact over politicized opinion is a long overdue lesson that must be delivered to Americans. With American education in rapid decline according to international rankings, perhaps a cartoon that entertains viewers while forcing them to think is needed to spur action.

What are some other current shows that you feel are worth watching? Please send all feedback to opinion@dailycardinal.com.