Melvin Gordon

Melvin Gordon kept his ridiculous run going, this time rushing for 175 yards and four touchdowns.

Badgers beat Illini behind Gordon's big game

After a dreadful loss to Northwestern last week, Wisconsin (1-1 Big Ten, 4-2 overall) rebounded thanks to another big day from Heisman candidate Melvin Gordon to win 38-28 over Illinois (0-3, 3-4) at Camp Randall Saturday.

Gordon scored four touchdowns while rushing for 175 yards on 27 carries. He has now rushed for more than 100 yards in five of six games this season, asserting himself as perhaps the best running back in the nation.

After a week of speculation, redshirt junior Joel Stave started at quarterback in place of redshirt junior Tanner McEvoy. Though Wisconsin quickly scored a touchdown on its first drive, it wasn’t the prettiest start for the Badgers.

Wisconsin ran the ball on its first 11 plays and the Fighting Illini jumped out to a 14-7 lead in the first quarter. With the run game quickly stalling because of the one-dimensional play calling, it looked like the Badgers were in for another close contest.

“We had a lot of really good play action passes and different routes in the game plan,” Stave said. “It can be tough to get to them when you’re handing it off and Melvin and Corey are running it down the field so much.”

After the slow start, Stave responded by leading the offense on a 10-play, 75-yard touchdown drive to tie the game at the beginning of the second quarter. He was 4-5 on the drive for 44 yards, providing a nice complement to the run-heavy philosophy.

McEvoy took over on the next drive, one that would end in a missed 47-yard field goal. He was 3-4 for 24 yards and rushed once for 12 yards, but it was his only appearance in the game, ceding the rest of the reps to Stave. There was no word on why McEvoy came in immediately following a nice touchdown drive by Stave, only that it was part of the game plan.

Wisconsin tried several deep passes with Stave but was unable to connect. The Badgers have yet to successfully complete a deep throw downfield all season, but Stave’s powerful arm gives the offense a vertical dimension not seen with McEvoy.

“Obviously, you’d like to hit some of those deep balls down the field, but that being said, the fact that we’re throwing them is a good sign,” Stave said. “I think it’s just a matter of time. We’re gonna land one of those and it’s gonna be a good feeling.”

The defense set the tone from there, dominating Illinois in the second and third quarters. The Illini went scoreless and totaled just 77 yards of offense in that period.

Wisconsin utilized a defensive scheme with just two down linemen for much of the game, giving the Badgers more speed on the edge to hold contain as Illinois tried unsuccessfully to stretch the field laterally.

“It’s called our peso package,” said redshirt sophomore linebacker Vince Biegel. “Our peso package works well for us and I think it’s something you’ll continue to see the rest of the year.”

Biegel had a fantastic game with six tackles, 2.5 of which were for loss. However, an unlikely player had an even bigger impact defensively. Sophomore linebacker Leon Jacobs, starting in place of an injured Marcus Trotter, finished with a team-high 12 tackles, had 1.5 sacks and made two tackles for loss.

“Leon is a tremendous athlete,” said head coach Gary Andersen. “It was great to see the sacks. It was great to see the defense put themselves in position that way and rush the passers physically.”

Wisconsin finished with six sacks and 11 tackles for loss. The defense dominated the line of scrimmage and continuously generated pressure on Illinois quarterback Reilly O’Toole.

Though Wisconsin seemed to have the game in hand after a 72-yard touchdown run by Corey Clement, Illinois made a small comeback effort after replacing O’Toole with running threat Aaron Bailey. The change in styles baffled the Badgers.

Bailey led two fourth-quarter touchdown drives, running 12 times for 75 yards. Down 38-28, the Illini recovered an onside kick with three minutes left to make the game interesting. However, Bailey’s passing skills weren’t as good as his running ability, throwing an interception to safety Peniel Jean to seal the final outcome.

Though quarterback struggles have been the team’s most high-profile issue this year, Wisconsin must improve its special teams. The Badgers have routinely lost the field position battle this season. Three of the Illini’s four touchdown drives began in Wisconsin territory.

The Badgers can iron out special teams and refine their deep-ball passing in the bye week. Their next game is October 25 against Maryland.