U.S. News & World Report lists UW-Madison high among nation’s public institutions

The U.S. News & World Report’s annual college rankings, released Tuesday, ranked the University of Wisconsin-Madison 13th among the nation’s public institutions.

The overall list ranks UW-Madison 47th among 280 doctoral universities. Last year, UW-Madison ranked 11th and 41st, respectively. The publication compiles overall rankings using information such as retention, graduation rates and academic reputation.

The report lists UW-Madison’s undergraduate engineering and business programs 14th and 15th overall, respectively. In addition, many of UW-Madison’s graduate programs ranked in the top 10 overall. UW-Madison also has the lowest cheapest out-of-state tuition for any top 50 school.

“We are proud to be recognized as a leader in higher education, especially among public colleges,” University Relations Vice Chancellor Vince Sweeney said in a university press release. “It’s always an honor to be included in a tool that so many students and families use to aid in their decision about which college to attend.”