Top ways to get your bedroom up to Pinterest standards

Many college dorm rooms are so small that a bed, desk and dresser take up every inch of space. Even in high-rises and houses, it’s very unlikely to find a bedroom of decent size.

Moving into this type of space can be a struggle not only for incoming freshman, but also upperclassman coming back from a summer away.

Once all the essentials are moved in, all too often people give up on decorations worrying that they’ll add nothing more than clutter in an already cramped bedroom.

However, with only a small amount of planning, optimizing your space can be easy with creative shelving, light and patterns.

Even better, this all can be done on a tight budget.

A decorative shelving unit is a simple way to keep a room neat and still add a touch of personal style.

Specifically, hanging objects on the wall is a great way to satisfy the need for extra space, in addition to flair.

For example, hanging anything from a skateboard to a wooden crate on the wall can not only provide a surface to place books and other items, but can also create an aesthetic.

Use these larger items as a focal piece and choose smaller pieces that work with them to create cohesion.

If you feel like adding a more personal touch, paint whatever you choose to hang with your favorite color.

In terms of lighting, it can really make or break the perceived size of a room.

If you’re lucky enough to have a window, make sure to use it by keeping the shades open during the day and not blocking any part of it with a bulky piece such as a bed or dresser.

A little bit of natural light can open up a room tremendously.

If you don’t have a window, make sure to buy a lamp with a small, skinny stand.

This way it won’t take up a lot of the floor or desk space you so desperately need.

Also helpful is to use multiple lamps and place them in opposite corners of the room to not only maximize lighting, but also give the impression of a bigger, more open space.

When decorating the walls, make sure to choose items that match or at least add to one another.

Wall décor in all kinds of colors and patterns is distracting and can easily look cluttered. Keep it simple.

Four small pictures arranged in an unconventional square can add character to a wall in a simple way.

When in doubt, look for letters. Using your initials is a great way to decorate an empty wall. Lots of stores with décor departments sell a variety of letters at reasonable prices.

Decoration can give a facelift to any small dull room.

By coordinating everything in a creative way, you can give a space the boost it needs to be welcoming for all guests, all roommates and most importantly, yourself.