Rep. Mark Pocan introduces bill to improve opportunities for young scientists

In a move aiming to improve opportunities for early career researchers, U.S. Rep. Mark Pocan, D-Wis., introduced the Next Generation Research Act at the University of Wisconsin-Madison Wednesday.

The bill counteracts record-low National Institutes of Health research awards, according to a press release. Of the grants submitted to NIH, less than 20 percent are funded.

The lack of funding for young researchers is discouraging to students hoping to pursue careers in STEM fields in the United States, but the initiative, introduced to the Senate by U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., creates an initiative in the NIH aimed at expanding current grant opportunities for new researchers, increasing workforce diversity and improving mentorship.

The bill also addresses the issue on a wider scale by directing a comprehensive study on the best ways to invest in future research in the country.

“Federally funded research helps lead to lifesaving medical innovations and technological breakthroughs which can lead to a revolutionary new industry,” Pocan said. “Congress has shirked its responsibility in recent years to be the driver of federally funded research.”

Pocan stated the bill will support young researchers in tackling future challenges and fostering economic growth. The NIH added over $62 billion in new economic activity and 432,094 jobs across the country in 2011, despite the $1.5 billion sequestration cut from the NIH budget.

“In order to foster long-term economic growth, we need to make a strong commitment to supporting research, innovation, science, and technology,” Pocan said.

The UW-Madison School of Medicine and Public Health is among the six groups supporting the bill.