HeForShe: Time to act

UN Women Goodwill Ambassador Emma Watson said, “How can we affect change in the world when only half of it is invited or feels welcome to participate in the conversation?” This was the inspiring  message she delivered Sept. 20, 2014. Watson’s HeForShe speech, and the campaign itself prompted discussion on modern feminism. 

Her speech has stimulated conversation over the connotation of feminism in the modern age and of the challenges still faced by men and women alike in overcoming gender stereotypes and gaining equal rights. In her speech, Watson illuminates the circumstance that fighting for women’s rights has “too often become synonymous with man-hating.” She continues in her speech by defining feminism as “the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities. It is the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of sexes.”

Being the first campaign of its kind, HeForShe is a solidarity movement for gender equality that brings together one half of humanity in support of the other, for the entirety of humanity. On the campaign’s website, www.heforshe.org, it is stated, “the movement for gender equality was originally conceived as a struggle led only by women for women, but in recent year men have begun to stand-up in addressing inequalities and discrimination faced by women and girls.” Since the launch of the campaign, 158,726 men all over the world have taken a stand for gender equality. Yet what exactly does taking a stand mean? 

Looking closer at the website, by agreeing to “The HeForShe Commitment” men are simply stating that they agree that “gender equality is not only a women’s issue, it is a human rights issue that requires [men’s] participation. [Men] commit to take action against all forms of violence and discrimination faced by women and girls.” Simply put, men are signing to join the movement … to do nothing.

What good is spreading the word if you are not going to be spreading action? Everyone, especially in western society, knows that actions speak louder than words. While sharing on Facebook and Twitter that you agree with Watson and the campaign’s ideas is a start, it is nowhere near close to fighting and ending inequality.

In this technological era, social media has helped jump-start many social movements. And the HeForShe campaign is no exception. After Watson’s speech hit the Internet, thousands of people got involved to pledge their support, including a few famous faces such as Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Forest Whitaker and Russell Crowe. But what is next after supporting the campaign?

Women and men around the world are empowered to change society, yet no change has been made. Of course, there is understanding that changes in societal ideas don’t happen overnight. But, to quote Watson herself, “if not now, when?”

When will women and men be free from prejudice? When will women be allowed to chase their dreams without be labeled as bossy? And when will men be allowed to shed their “manly” aggression without be labeled as weak?

I am not asking for worldwide participation in the campaign, but instead UW-Madison participation. You don’t have to join the movement or even visit the website. To begin our own “campaign” we must free ourselves of stereotypes. The stereotypes of men, the stereotypes of women, even the stereotypes of college students. To quote Watson one last time, “if we stop defining each other by what we are not and start defining ourselves by what we are, we can all be freer.” 

Tell us how you feel about this resurgence of feminism and please send all feedback to opinion@dailycardinal.com.