Dane County Law Enforcement Seizes Over $1 Million Worth of Marijuana

Police announced Thursday the Dane County Narcotics Task Force seized over 1,100 marijuana plants worth approximately $1 million at four houses around Dane County, according to Madison Police Department Spokesman Joel DeSpain.

DeSpain said in a press release the bust was one of the largest indoor marijuana grow operations in Dane county history, involving plants in multiple stages of growth.

Police received an anonymous tip in July that initiated the three monthlong investigation, according to DeSpain. Police were then able to issue search warrants for four houses, three located in Madison and one in Sun Prairie.

The only arrest in light of the seizure so far has been Donald E. Alston, a 44-year-old Madison resident. Police found Alston in his home on 4201 Sycamore Ave. where they also seized his 12-gauge shotgun, according to DeSpain.

Alston, who has been directly linked to all four properties, is facing tentative charges on four counts of manufacturing marijuana, one case of which occurred within 1,000 feet from a school zone, according to DeSpain. Police also charged Alston with maintaining a drug dwelling, possession and intent to deliver THC and possession of drug paraphernalia.

The Dane County Narcotics Task Force received assistance from the Drug Enforcement Agency, the Dane County Sheriff’s Department and the Madison Police Department throughout the investigation, according to DeSpain.