Tanner McEvoy

Desperately needing to show the passing game could threaten, McEvoy delivered what was needed.

Badgers overcome slow start, rout Western Illinois 37-3

Wisconsin earned a much-needed win after the Aug. 30 loss at the hands of LSU, but the Badgers’ performance prompted concerns that will need to be addressed in the coming weeks before conference play begins.

UW (1-1) beat the visiting FCS Western Illinois Fighting Leathernecks (1-1) 37-3 Saturday afternoon to earn its first win of the 2014 season and its 19th consecutive home-opener victory at Camp Randall Stadium.

Western Illinois immediately dug itself a hole on the opening kickoff, when junior returner Kyle Hammonds muffed the kick near the goal line and then took a knee in the end zone. The play was reviewed, and it was ruled that Hammonds fumbled the ball out of the end zone and then brought it back in before taking a knee, thus registering a safety.

It appeared that Wisconsin’s early 2-0 lead would be the beginning of a rapid blowout, but the offense failed to establish rhythm throughout the first two quarters, struggling to only a 9-3 lead at halftime. With the exception of a 90-yard drive that halted on a failed fourth down conversion on WIU’s seven yard line and a second quarter push that ended with a seven-yard touchdown run by redshirt junior quarterback Tanner McEvoy, the offense looked entirely out of sync in the first half.

Western Illinois managed to clog the inside running lanes while also containing off-tackle stretches the Badgers attempted. Wisconsin’s 167 total rushing yards concerned head coach Gary Andersen.

“We need to be better,” Andersen said. “We’re not going to sit here and say, ‘Hey, that was an acceptable day on the ground.’ It absolutely is not. We all know that as a coaching staff. The whole offense understands that and knows that if we don’t run the ball better, we won’t have a very successful season.”

Redshirt junior running back Melvin Gordon netted just 38 yards on 17 attempts. Gordon shrugged off the suggestion that any sort of injury was the cause of his disappointing performance, and instead pointed to the fact that WIU loaded the box to stuff the rushing game.

“It’s like there’s guys right there so it’s frustrating,” Gordon said. “This is a first for me you know and we get back in the lab, we get back, watching film, offensive linemen watch film and we’ll be ready for whatever’s next.”

Fortunately for the Badgers, McEvoy was able to take advantage of the Leathernecks’ focus on stifling the run by airing the ball out on play action passes and finding receivers open downfield in what proved to be a redeeming game for the inexperienced starter.

McEvoy completed 23-of-28 passes for 283 yards, three touchdowns and one interception in his second start under center for the Badgers, while also rushing for 55 yards on nine attempts. He displayed a better feel for the offense, showing confidence in his throws and an improved perception of when to use his legs to move the ball downfield. In a stretch during the second and third quarters, McEvoy completed 17 consecutive pass attempts.

McEvoy looked exceptionally strong in the second half, when the Badgers chose to air the ball out more in wake of its struggling running game.

McEvoy found redshirt freshman fullback Austin Ramesh, filling in for the injured Derek Watt, for a 3-yard touchdown pass on Wisconsin’s opening drive of the half.

Gordon hauled in another touchdown pass from McEvoy on the Badgers’ next drive. He slipped out to the flat, where McEvoy flipped the ball to him, allowing him to shake off several Western Illinois defenders before pounding the ball to the end zone.

McEvoy’s final touchdown pass went to redshirt sophomore wide receiver Alex Erickson on a ten-yard quick screen midway through the fourth quarter to put the Badgers up, 30-3.

“Offensively, we needed a game like this,” McEvoy said. “We know what we can do on offense. We know we can pass the ball. Their defense was making us pass the ball and making us throw it. That’s what we have to do when teams do that to us.”

Erickson was McEvoy’s go-to target, hauling in 10 passes for 122 yards on the game.

With the exception of Western Illinois’ only scoring drive, in which it drove 67 yards in 2:11 at the end of the second quarter, Wisconsin’s defense was dominant. The Badgers forced six Western Illinois three-and-outs, and allowed just 162 yards of total offense to the Leathernecks, 128 of which came in the first half.

“First half, I think we just got caught trying to get a feel for them,” said redshirt freshman defensive end Chikwe Obasih. “Second half, d-line, we made an effort to get a push back.”

Redshirt junior safety Michael Caputo picked off a pass from sophomore quarterback Trenton Norvell in the first quarter when WIU drove down to Wisconsin’s 13 yard line. Obasih generated pressure on the line of scrimmage and tipped Norvell’s pass, allowing Caputo to grab the ball and scamper for a 27-yard return.

Senior linebacker Marcus Trotter led Wisconsin with six tackles and provided an emotional boost with his enthusiasm and quickness to the ball, attributes that Andersen praised.

Despite the blowout win, the Badgers are cautiously optimistic going in to a bye week before its Sept. 20 game against Bowling Green. Wisconsin’s typically dominant rushing game never came to fruition Saturday, and the defense showed inconsistency in the first half before clamping down in the final two quarters.

Sophomore running back Corey Clement summed up the Badgers’ response to the win.

“This game’s a confidence booster to get back to where we think we should be in the rankings,” Clement said. “But we’re not going to let it get too high over our heads and we’re going to keep playing Badger football.”