Assembly Democrats ask DMVss to expand hours

Wisconsin Democrats asked in a letter Monday that DMV centers across the state expand their business hours so that more citizens can receive a voter ID.

Assembly Democrats asked Wisconsin Department of Transportation Secretary Mark Gottlieb to increase weekend hours, evening hours and open mobile DMV centers, according to the letter.

With just 35 days left until Election Day, Democrats urged the DOT to help register voters. U.S. District Judge Lynn Adelman estimated 300,000 Wisconsinites do not have the proper forms of ID.

“If Wisconsin doesn’t offer DMV service hours that make sense for its citizens, in effect, it will be stripping thousands of people of their right to vote,” said Andy Jorgensen, D-Milton, in a statement.

Jorgensen pointed out that the majority of DMV centers are only open two days per week and that in Wisconsin there is one DMV center for every 689 square miles. He compared this to Indiana, which also has a voter ID law, but has one DMV center for every 311 square miles.

The Democratic caucus chair also noted that Alabama, Indiana, Maine, Texas and Virginia all set up mobile DMV centers to help rural citizens get the correct ID.

Jorgensen said Gottlieb still has time to appeal to the Joint Finance Committee for increased funding to cover extended hours. There are currently four Democratic legislators and 12 Republican legislators on the joint committee.

The law was introduced by Republicans on the grounds that it would eliminate voter fraud and restore confidence in the voting process.