Wisconsin voters choose party nominees in primary election

Voters across Wisconsin chose their parties’ nominees Tuesday for the fall midterm elections set to take place November 4.

Democrats chose Trek executive Mary Burke over state Rep. Brett Hulsey, D-Madison, as their nominee to face Gov. Scott Walker.

“I am truly honored by the trust placed in me by Wisconsin voters and look forward to continuing to earn the support of Republicans, Independents and Democrats alike over the next 84 days,” Burke said in a statement.

The Democratic Party also nominated state Sen. John Lehman, D-Racine, for lieutenant governor. He will face current Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefish this fall.

Attorney General

Jefferson County District Attorney Susan Happ won the Democratic Party’s nomination for attorney general, defeating state Rep. John Richards, D-Milwaukee, and Dane County District Attorney Ismael Ozanne.

Happ said in a statement she believes Tuesday’s election proves Wisconsin’s readiness for a new direction from the Department of Justice.

“I’m proud that my message of protecting our families, tackling our heroin epidemic head on, and putting sex offenders and domestic abusers behind bars where they belong has resonated with voters across Wisconsin,” Happ said.

Richards won the straw poll at the Wisconsin Democratic Convention earlier this year and had raised more money than Happ coming into the election.

Happ will face Republican and Waukesha District Attorney Brad Schimel, who was unopposed for his party’s nomination, in the general election this fall.

Wisconsin’s 78th Assembly District

Madison Ald. Lisa Subeck, District 1, won the Democratic nomination for the 78th Assembly District seat over Ald. Mark Clear, District 19, in Tuesday’s election with 57 percent of the vote.

As state representative, she will represent much of the far west side of Madison, assuming the position vacated by Hulsey when he declared his candidacy for governor.