Mother, daughter fall victim to double homicide, stabbing on East Side

A Madison man murdered a mother and her daughter in an East Washington Avenue residence Friday before he was fatally shot by responding Madison police officers.

Madison Police received the call at approximately 1 p.m. May 2 at 2617 E. Washington Ave., according to Madison Police Department Spokesperson Joel DeSpain.

DeSpain said the scene was still active and “very fluid” when officers arrived. The suspect was found wielding a knife and then sent to the hospital with fatal gunshot wounds from “at least one officer,” according to DeSpain.

The mother, a 50-year-old Madison woman, was found dead at the apartment and the 30-year-old daughter visiting the mother was rushed to the hospital with fatal stab wounds and passed away shortly after arrival.

The mother’s 20-year-old son was able to escape the event with multiple stab wounds and is currently in stable condition, according to DeSpain. He sought help from a neighbor who called police.

Police also found a 4-year-old boy hiding in the residence without any physical injuries who the daughter was babysitting.

According to DeSpain, the suspect made threats to neighbors previously and suffered from “mental health issues.”

Police are investigating the double homicide and attempted murder case to find a motive while the Wisconsin Division of Criminal Investigation is looking into the officer-involved shooting, according to DeSpain.