It's you! It's me! And it's arts in Madison, WI!

If you’re reading this, congratulations! You’re bona fide Badger material! Now, I’m sure you’ve got a million questions swirling around your mind about college and the future and all that business. SOAR is a good place to answer some of those questions, but come September, you’ll not only be in school, you’ll also be in a city bustling with people and life and art! Especially the third one! And to ensure you’re up to speed on every bit of music, movie, painting, theater and literary opportunity in town, The Daily Cardinal is proud to present this short guide to the Arts in Madison.

Wisconsin Union Theater

You may have observed that parts of the University are under construction currently—and believe me, it’ll be under construction for a while. One part that won’t be under construction, however, is the renovated Wisconsin Union Theater. Besides offering a brand new waiting hall and lounge, the Theater will be rolling out a crackerjack season of classical, world and virtuoso music stars, including Yo Yo Ma, Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer, Don McLean and Judy Collins, Kronos Quartet, etc. The Theater will also be staging “Macbeth” and several travel documentaries. The best part is, tickets are super cheap for UW-students.

Chazen Museum of Art

A free museum, the Chazen recently expanded into another building, connecting the old facility via a skyway. The art spans all eras but largely focuses on the 19th and 20th centuries. With a large permanent collection as well as rotating exhibits, the Chazen is a great place to mingle for a few hours or stop off for a breath of fresh air between classes. Besides paintings and sculptures, the Chazen also houses the art history library on campus.

University Theatre

The University Theatre, located in the sprawl of Vilas Hall, hosts a variety of theatre productions, both new and old, from renowned kings/queens of the theatre to bright young upstarts carving a place in the annals of that great tradition. Seasons generally have a turnover each semester, so keep an eye out for the poster frames on East Campus Mall, across from CoffeeBytes and the Student Activity Center.

University Bookstore

You’ll no doubt become intimately familiar with this place by the time you’re done here, but besides textbooks, the Bookstore keeps a stock of used books and hard to find/obscure texts, not to mention cheap foreign language paperbacks if you’re into that kind of thing.

Der Rathskeller

Made to look like a Germanic cellar, Der Rathskeller is a destination for local and/or small acts coming through town. All the concerts are free, so swing by for a beer, a burger or both and catch some cool tunes. In addition, Der Rathskeller shows big sports games and movies from time to time.

Memorial Union Terrace

When the weather’s nice, the Memorial Union Terrace upgrades from must-see relaxation spot to must-see music venue. Indeed, this past spring, the Terrace stage was privy to some of the performance highlights at Revelry, UW’s spring music and arts festival. So keep an eye out for music on the center stage at the Terrace and save the date, before Jack Frost swoops down to lock away all the Terrace chairs.

Cinématheque

Located in 4070 Vilas Hall, Cinématheque is the destination for art house/film history movies, lovingly curated by the Wisconsin Union Directorate Film Committee. The average schedule is awe inspiring, showing upward of 40 movies per semester, manifold and variegated—but don’t let that daunt you. The Cinématheque movies are presented both digitally and in 35mm, depending on the type or age of movie.

The Marquee

The Marquee, the companion theater to Cinématheque, can be found on the second floor of Union South. Like its counterpart, the Marquee is free, although it tends to show recent blockbusters and classics more than artsy humdingers—which isn’t meant to short shrift the Marquee. Whether you’re coming in at seven to see a special screening of “Pacific Rim” or staying up ’til midnight to see the late night movie special (“Zardoz” anyone?) the Marquee is a great student movie destination. The concession possibilities are nearly infinite as well, given all the food options just a floor below in Union South.

The Sett

Since 2011, The Sett has been bringing a variety of rap, hip hop, rock, alternative, jazz—just about every genre of music under the sun—acts to UW students, free of charge. Like Der Rathskeller, The Sett’s musical offerings tend to be smaller acts or local musicians, but don’t let that keep you away. You might just find your next great musical love.

The Sett

More likely than not, you’ll see this space at some point during SOAR, but throughout the school year, numerous illustrious speakers grace this hall, often free of charge to listeners. This past school year, some highlights included author Cheryl Strayed, Nobel laureate Orhan Pamuk and zombie expert Max Brooks.

WSUM

Besides StudentPrint and the Associated Students of Madison student government, the Student Activity Center is home to WSUM, the student-run campus radio station. With a nearly 24/7 schedule, hosting a wide roster of themed shows and individual DJs, WSUM is a place to hear or be heard at UW-Madison. Trainings are regular, as is turnover, so if you think you’ve got what it takes to be the next great student disc jockey, stop on by 333 East Campus Mall for more information.

Paul’s Book Store

Near Library Mall on State Street, Paul’s Book Store is the premiere used bookstore in town. Its modest, crowded appearance belies a treasure trove of old, cheap books. Plus the lovely smell of lignin is free.

A Room of One’s Own

A Room Of One’s Own recently moved into their new space on Gorham Street—next to the Community Pharmacy and across from the Jamba Juice. Besides books, the store also hosts readings from local authors and poets.

Ear Wax Punk

Madison’s punk rock/metal record store, Ear Wax, is the sure place to find the latest eye melting, glass shattering humdinger available for purchase. Located off of Gilman Street, the store is perfect if you’ve got more idiosyncratic tastes, or you’ve got an inherent abhorrance for Top 40 radio. Would you like a side of spikes with that?

The Orpheum Theater

The Orpheum is one of two big concert destinations downtown. Past acts have included Lupe Fiasco, The 1975, Neutral Milk Hotel and numerous others. Compared to other venues in town, The Orpheum can be pretty pricy, and tickets can sell out fast depending on the artist, but more likely than not, there will be at least one must see show your freshman year.

B-Side Records

Located in the warm middle of State Street between the student half and the non-student half, B-Side is a cozy, hole-in-the-wall type store, replete with a wide array of CDs and vinyl records. It’s a safe bet something cool, whether it be the next big thing or a classic jazz record, will be playing in the background for your browsing pleasure. Be sure and take a look at the front window display strung up with new and upcoming releases.

Madison Museum of Contemporary Art

The Museum of Contemporary Art, or MMoCA, is located in the Overture Center complex, with an entrance at the corner of State and Johnson streets. Admission is free, although the exhibits (rotating once or twice a semester) more than warrant a donation. It’s also a perfect first date locale: grab a bite from the nearby Noodles and Company or get a late breakfast at Short Stack Eatery, then let your insides mull over the walls of art.

Overture Center for the Arts

The Overture Center actually comprises numerous theaters and studios, and you’ll no doubt become intimately familiar with all its recesses and hideyholes by the end of your freshman year. For one thing, the Overture is the site of the freshman welcome party each year, but throughout the year it’s a major destination for musicals and large touring acts.

The Majestic Theatre

Built in a renovated movie theater, the Majestic is one of the most popular venues in town. Although it’s a bit far flung from campus, the Majestic is a big-time student draw: big enough for raucous, off-the-wall shows, yet also small enough for more intimate gatherings.

The Frequency

On an offshoot street from the Capitol, The Frequency is a neat little club styled around cheap punk rock shows as well as smaller touring outfits. Although the venue hosts a bar, 18+ shows are frequent. Want more testimony to their coolness credibility? They’ve got one of Brian King’s guitars—smashed to pieces, of course—framed on the wall to commemorate when Japandroids came to town.

Bartell Theater

The off-campus theater destination, the Bartell is nearly profligate in the number and variety of productions they put on in a given season, ranging from avant-garde productions to Shakespeare to ballet performances.

Strictly Discs

Up on Monroe Street, about ten minutes on foot from Camp Randall, Strictly Discs may be the best record store in town, so far as this reviewer is concerned. The place boasts a wide selection of CDs and vinyl, not to mention the wide array of sampler CDs in the front window they offer for prospective customers.

The Barrymore Theater

Up the way on Atwood Avenue, the Barrymore draws a number of well-known, interesting acts each year, including live favorites like Trampled By Turtles and Drive-By Truckers. Sure, it’s a ways away from campus, but then again, why let your free bus pass go to waste, eh?

ting, theater and literary opportunity in town, The Daily Cardinal is proud to present this short guide to the Arts in Madison.

Wisconsin Union Theater

Chazen Museum of Art

University Theatre

The University Theatre, located in the sprawl of Vilas Hall, hosts a variety of theatre productions, both new and old, from renowned kings/queens of the theatre to bright young upstarts carving a place in the annals of that great tradition. Seasons generally have a turnover each semester, so keep an eye out for the poster frames on East Campus Mall, across from CoffeeBytes and the Student Activity Center..

Der Rathskeller

Memorial Union Terrace

Cinématheque

Located in 4070 Vilas Hall, Cinématheque is the destination for art house/film history movies, lovingly curated by the Wisconsin Union Directorate Film Committee. The average schedule is awe inspiring, showing upward of 40 movies per semester, manifold and variegated—but don’t let that daunt you. The Cinématheque movies are presented both digitally and in 35mm, depending on the production.

The Marquee

The Sett

Student Activity Center

Besides housing StudentPrint and the Associated Students of Madison student government, the Student Activity Center is home to WSUM, the student-run campus radio station. With a nearly 24/7 schedule, hosting a wide roster of themed shows and individual DJs, WSUM is a place to hear or be heard at UW-Madison. Trainings are regular, as is turnover, so if you think you’ve got what it takes to be the next great student disc jockey, stop on by 333 East Campus Mall for more information.

Paul’s Book Store

A Room of One’s Own

A Room Of One’s Own recently moved into their new space on Gorham Street—next to the Community Pharmacy and across from the Jamba Juice. Besides books, the store also hosts readings from local authors.

The Orpheum Theater

B-Side Records

Madison Museum of Contemporary Art

Overture Center for the Arts

The Majestic Theatre

The Frequency

Strictly Discs