"BRO-dgers" must act to prevent sexual assault

First off, I would like to say welcome and congratulations to every incoming student here at UW-Madison. Trust me, it may seem a little overwhelming at first but your college years are seriously some of the greatest years of your life, and if you open yourself up to all that this amazing campus and city have to offer than you will have plenty of fun. That being said, I need to switch gears and address all my fellow incoming male students or “BRO-dgers” if you will. 

Recently, a coward, whose name I choose not to mention as to never let the name live on, went on an insane killing spree in the densely populated living area for the University of California- Santa Barbara known as Isla Vista. The reaso this deranged killer felt it necessary to go on a killing spree that left six innocent people dead is because of his inability to seduce girls into having sex with him. While this is of course an act of insanity, it brings to light a greater issue that persists in the United States: the mindset that women are to be viewed as sexual objects that are open for the taking. 

As a college guy myself, I understand how beautiful the women of UW-Madison are. I understand how conversations with your friends about hooking up with girls can be some of the best conversations. But know that among the hooting and hollering you have with your boys, the girl that you are talking about is not some foreign land that you conquered or some play thing merely there for your enjoyment. She is a person and above that, she is your equal. 

Generations before us have unfortunately put forth the narrative that because men have had more access to education and are for the most part more physically imposing, they are inherently superior. Speaking as a son and a brother to some amazing women I find this ideal of superiority disgusting, and you should too. We need to make it our mission to treat the women of this University and the world with respect.

Yes, sex is a part of college. For a lot of you this is the first taste of freedom, and by all means you should take advantage of that freedom by whatever means you see fit. There will be drinking, partying and all that good stuff but never lose sight of the fact that the girls of this campus owe you nothing. This attitude of misogyny led to the killings at UCSB ,and we can do our part as Badgers to abolish this mentality forever. 

If you find yourself looking to engage in some sexual activity with the girl down the hall, know that she has the right to say no. As Shakespeare once said, “Faint heart never won fair lady,” you are encouraged to approach that girl you find attractive , and if both of you mutually agree to whatever happens after that then by all means proceed.

However, if that girl denies your approach, you need to back away and not take it personally. Take the denial in stride, swallow deep and get back out there. There really are plenty of fish in the sea and at UW-Madison that sea is plentiful so don’t worry! Get out there, have fun, make memories, respect women and never forget that NO means NO.

Ryan is a senior majoring in Political Science. What would you like to tell the Freshmen class? Please send all feedback to opinion@dailycardinal.com.