Monday, June 17, 2024

State Rep. Brett Hulsey to run for governor

State Rep. Brett Hulsey, D-Madison, announced Monday he will seek the Democratic nomination to challenge Gov. Scott Walker in November’s gubernatorial election.

Hulsey’s announcement forces a primary with fellow Democratic nominee Mary Burke.

The state representative said he is running because Walker’s policies "failed to get [Wisconsin] working again.”

“Governor Walker has failed to get Wisconsin working again, and my plan, which was developed thanks to the help of University of Wisconsin economists, moves us forward,” Hulsey said.

Hulsey added he would increase investment in higher education as part of his economic policy.

“My 'get Wisconsin working again' plan invests $2.1 billion in the people of the state of Wisconsin, including UW students, staff and faculty,” Hulsey said. “I would restore the about $280 million cuts that Governor Walker made to the UW System.”

While he supports Walker’s proposed tuition freeze extension, Hulsey said recent cuts to the UW System’s budget are bad for Wisconsin’s economy.

“You can’t starve the UW System like Governor Walker’s trying to do,” Hulsey said. “I want to give that 280 million he cut from the budget back, which would be millions of dollars more for UW-Madison.”

If elected governor, Hulsey said he would support stricter mining regulations and raising the minimum wage.

A spokesperson for Walker’s campaign said in an email Hulsey’s announcement would not change Walker’s message.

“It doesn’t matter who the Democratic nominee will be,” Alleigh Marré, press secretary for Walker’s campaign, said in an email. “We’re confident that voters want to continue moving Wisconsin forward and have no desire to return to the failed policies of the past.”

Candidates must collect 2,000 nomination signatures before June 2 to be on the ballot in the primary election.

Hulsey must give up his seat in the state Assembly to run for governor. His candidacy leaves Madison Alds. Lisa Subeck, District 1, and Mark Clear, District 19, to run for the Democratic nomination for his seat.

“It’s go big or go home,” Hulsey said.