Bad Plus

Record Routine: The Bad Plus updates century old classic with remarkable results

"The Rite of Spring" is one of the most influential musical compositions of the twentieth century. Created by a young, Russian man named Sergei Diaghilev in 1913, it tells the story of primitive celebrations of the solstice followed by a sacrifice of a young girl who dances herself to death. The exciting piece has been adapted to more modern music styles and was even used in Disney’s "Fantasia." The Bad Plus uses their keen sense of jazz to try and recreate this classical piece as literally as possible.

The trio allows no room for error, carefully reconstructing all of the precise tones, inflections and emotions the original so masterfully utilized. However, they infuse a modern jazz element to the score. An upright bass cools the piece, lending a coffee shop-poetry vibe in the background. Careful yet booming percussion provides the backbone to the work, often showing signs of modernization with computer-generated beats, mixed with classical jazz drumming patterns.

The piano bridges the gap between modern music and the original orchestral piece. Sometimes sounding like the soundtrack to a Sergei Eisenstein film, the piano part moves swiftly, strikes hard and leads the narrative. However, The Bad Plus mix in their own jazz piano sound in order to freshen up the almost century-old composition, often eliciting upbeat, exciting feelings among the somber tonal breaks that occur frequently.

This album is a stark contrast to most music being released today. It brings back a classical, highly influential musical composition and reinstates its place in history, with a jazz twist. Perfect for studying, running errands, or just simply enjoying the exciting story it tells, The Bad Plus’ The Rite of Spring honors, upholds, and updates an early twentieth century Russian musical piece for twenty-first century listeners.

Grade: A-