Walker 04/07/2014

Gov. Scott Walker signed six bills Friday supporting veterans by constructing a new nursing facility, working with disabled veteran-owned businesses and regulating veterans’ homes.

Gov. Scott Walker signs six veterans bills

Gov. Scott Walker signed six bills into law Friday supporting veterans, according to a release.

“I am honored to sign these bills, which will assist [veterans] in their transition back home and ensure they receive the top medical care they deserve,” Walker said in the release.

Assembly Bill 733 allows the Department of Veterans Affairs’ construction of the John R. Moses Skilled Nursing Facility at the King Veterans Home, replacing the “outdated” 200 bed facility. The project is financed with $80 million in program revenue and general fund supported borrowing, according to the bill text.

Rep. Dianne Hesselbein, D-Middleton, co-authored the bill and thanked Walker for supporting the bill in a statement.

“It is our obligation to treat our veterans in a manner that retains dignity, compassion and comfort when they most need this level of long-term care,” Hesselbein said in the release. “I am so pleased and grateful to the Governor for agreeing … that it is wise to take advantage of the federal funding that covers much of the project.”

Co-author and Sen. Jerry Petrowski, R-Marathon, said in a statement “We have an obligation to care for our veterans, whether they came home last month, or 50 years ago.”

Other bills amend construction contracts with disabled veteran-owned businesses, clarify the Board of Veterans Affairs’ powers and duties, regulate the operation of veterans homes and create a grant program allowing the Department of Veterans Affairs to raise up to $250,000 for nonprofit organizations that provide financial assistance to veterans and their families.