Democratic lawmakers ask Wisconsin company continue to blue highway signs

Assembly Democrats are asking a Wisconsin company be reinstated as the producer of the state’s blue highway signs. Wisconsin’s blue signs indicate the location of restaurants, hotels, gas stations and other attractions.

Derse-Wisconsin Highway Business Signs, a Milwaukee based company, previously had produced the signs for 28 years, according to statement. The Department of Transportation awarded the contract to a company based in Louisiana.

Democrats who sit on the Joint Finance Committee are asking the committee's co-chairs review the decision and the impact on Wisconsin jobs, according the statement. In a letter to co-chairs, state Rep. John Nygren, R-Marinette, and state Sen. Alberta Darling, R-River Hills, the legislators asked that the issue be added to the agenda for the next committee meeting.

The decision to change companies is estimated to cost Wisconsin businesses millions of dollars over the term of the contract, according to the letter sent by the representatives.

The Joint Finance Committee is responsible for recommending to the Legislature all state spending and revenue decisions and is made up of legislators from both houses.

Derse-WHBS would have given a discounted advertising price to Wisconsin business, but the DOT awarded the contract to the out-of-state company due to other factors in the selection process, according the statement.

“There’s nothing smart about sending Wisconsin jobs to Louisiana and charging taxpayers substantially more for the service,” state Rep. Cory Mason, D-Racine, said in the statement.

The Joint Committee on Finance is scheduled to meet May 6.