Jonah Beleckis

Column: What the story of Princess Lacey has done for us all

This week, we are all Michigan State fans.

"Princess" Lacey Holsworth, 8, passed away after a long battle with neuroblastoma, a fetal-nerve cell cancer late Tuesday night, according to ABCnews.com.

Lacey formed a bond with the Michigan State basketball team two years ago when she received visits in the hospital from Spartan star forward Adreian Payne.

The 8-year-old superfan quickly became part of the team. She joined Payne and the Spartans during the Big Ten Tournament, the NCAA Tournament and the College Slam Dunk Championship. Lacey even partook in the ceremonious cutting down of the net after MSU's Big Ten championship win.

The power of the relationship grew because it was a two-way street. Payne reciprocated the friendship, and expressed his sincere thoughts after hearing the news.

"It was time for my lil princess to go home & feel no more pain,now she's happy & she's my angel watching over me," Payne tweeted Wednesday.

Moments like this cross all boundaries of team allegiances. They even cross any and all boundaries dividing us as people.

The story of a child going through what Lacey went through puts everything in perspective and makes us appreciate how lucky we are to be able to do the simple things. Do we really appreciate that we can comfortably read this column or walk to class with two functional legs?

The sporting world acts as a medium that brings people struggling with unfathomable difficulties something bright into their lives.

For those who question the existence and prominence of sports in our culture, forget talking about the price tag on many professional athletes for now; their status in society as idols does unquantifiable good.

A meta-analysis of charitable contributions and hours of community service done by professional, amateur, collegiate and even high school or lower-level sports teams would yield substantial results.

Imagine spending a day with your favorite sports team. Imagine seeing the people you look up to and attempting to keep your composure before being overcome with groupie syndrome.

Now imagine what it would feel like for them to tell you how much you inspire them.

I agree that athletes aren't the most heroic figures in our society, but that doesn't diminish their impact.

Lacey and her family likely experienced many unforgettable events thanks to the generosity of the Michigan State basketball program.

But the impact goes way beyond those who were directly involved. Lacey's story spread across the country with many major news outlets covering it. Getting these stories out into the public eye goes leaps and bounds in advancing the progress of cancer research.

The sporting world lost one of its most genuine fans when Lacey passed. Her story touched the lives of any and all who are involved with Michigan State basketball.

But her story extends well beyond those who support the green and white. Her story extends beyond those who follow college basketball.

Michigan State's status in our society brought a profoundly successful medium to give people that one moment of genuine reflection, that one moment where we sit back from all the stresses of school and be grateful for the simple things.

This week, we are all Michigan State fans. More importantly, we are all people.

What are your thoughts on Princess Lacey's passing? How do sports impact people off the field? Email jonah.beleckis@dailycardinal.com and share any thoughts or memories.