Sustainability Committee calls off spring Sustainability Fair

The third Sustainability Fair, previously scheduled for the end of April, will no longer take place due to alternate efforts by other campus entities and more pressing campaigns from the Associated Students of Madison Sustainability Committee.

The fair’s theme was originally centered on food waste and specifically, what steps could be taken by the campus community to reduce waste in campus dining halls.

Will Mulhern, chair of the Sustainability Committee, said the committee decided at its March 5 meeting scheduling and organizing a fair was not possible with the number of campaigns the group had embarked on this semester.

“We just have a lot of other projects that we’re working on and we felt like the need for the Sustainability Fair wasn’t as big this semester,” Mulhern said.

Mulhern said the committee decided since the Office of Sustainability recently facilitated a Sustainability Forum, the committee’s efforts would be better used to focus on its existing campaigns.

Additionally, the Nelson Institute plans to hold an environmental-centered event on Earth Day, the previous possible date for the Sustainability Fair, according to Mulhern.

“We’re really more focused on the Green Fund,” Mulhern said, citing the recently active grant that allows student organizations seeking to embark on sustainability initiatives on campus to apply for funding.

According to Mulhern, the committee will spend the remainder of the semester overseeing the beginning of the Green Fund process, as well as continuing individual efforts toward reducing campus food waste.