Rough Francis—Maximum Soul Power

Record Routine: Rough Francis carry on punk rock legacy

An element of serendipity underlies Rough Francis. A band of three brothers (Bobby, Julian and Urian Hackney) and their two friends (Dylan Giambatista and Steve Williams), Rough Francis came into being once the Hackney’s learned they descended from protopunk royalty.

The elder Bobby Hackney and his brothers were members of Detroit, Mich. band Death, whose releases have only recently surfaced for public enjoyment. And on their debut album, Maximum Soul Power, the younger Hackneys and co. do their best to honor their punk rock elders.

Less upfront and less visceral than Death, Rough Francis nonetheless manages to make great fun with their ruckus, employing the bare bones of rock ‘n’ roll (guitar, bass, drum and voice) to wring out a potent mix of tunes.

“Ruffians” starts things right with a steady drum and tambourine interplay, before the bass starts plodding and guitars start snarling. And while the album vacillates between faster numbers like “I-90 East” and slower tunes like “Staring Out The Window,” the album nonetheless loses none of its vision.

Rough Francis is one part emulation, one part reverance and a whole lot of enthusiasm and vivacity. The five-piece keeps things interesting across eight tracks, playing with lighter sounds, but more than willing (and able) to dip into darker tones. “Not A Nice Guy” is a perfect example of this—like a slowed down Ian MacKaye rant, played out in a garage instead of a Washington D.C. dive bar.

They also explore their more experimental side toward the end on “Comm To Space,” begining with dial tones and ending on a sincere, blistering rave up.

On Maximum Soul Power, Rough Francis show they are more than capable of living up to their elder’s deathly example.

Rating: A-