Landmarks Commission approves University Plan, six-story apartment building

The city’s Landmarks Commission adopted the University Avenue Corridor Plan and did not object to the construction of a six-story apartment building on North Webster and East Mifflin Streets in a meeting Monday.

The University Plan relates to both sides of University Avenue and the south side of the corresponding part of Campus Drive, a primarily residential area.

Ald. Shiva Bidar-Sielaff, District 5, sponsored the plan and said she believes the neighborhood continues to attract turnover. She also addressed the pedestrian perspective.

“We feel that [the plan] is friendly to the neighborhood,” Bidar-Sielaff said.

Sarah Cannon, a member of the University Avenue plan committee, said she thought the current plan balances development and density in the area.

“I think this plan is a really good representation of the desires of the neighborhood,” Cannon said.

Chamberlain Avenue residents Amy Thomas and Adam Halstead supported the plan.

“The plan is innovative, creative and forward thinking in that it enhances the traditions and values of the Regent neighborhood while embracing the student and UW population that area serves,” the residents said in an email.

Although the Commission only provided input on the beginning phases of the plan, Ald. Marsha Rummel, District 6, expressed concern about not evaluating the plan completely.

“I don’t feel that we lifted our share of the task,” Rummel said.

The commission also discussed the construction of a proposed apartment building. Some community members expressed concern about limited sunlight reaching the Lamp House, a building designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.

Members decided the current building plans are not overly visually intrusive 5-1.