UW-Madison alumnus’ film receives Academy Award nomination

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences nominated University of Wisconsin-Madison alumnus Jason Cohen’s film “Facing Fear” for a 2014 Academy Award in the “Best Documentary Short Subject” category, according to a Sunday UW School of Journalism and Mass Communication press release.

The film centers on the severe beating of a gay teen and the path to forgiveness he and his tormentor embark on 25 years later, according to the release.

Cohen, who graduated from UW-Madison with journalism and communications arts degrees in 1994, is one of five directors nominated for an award in that category, the release said.

During his time at UW-Madison, Cohen “lived in Vilas Hall” and worked at The Daily Cardinal, he said in the release. After graduation, he turned to documentary as a way to combine his love for journalism and film.

Cohen’s first documentary film revolved around the lives of five heroin addicts over the course of two years.

Cohen said in the release he feels fortunate his job has given him the opportunity to travel all over the world and shoot a variety of subjects, from wildlife and adventure sports to social issues and commercial work.

“It’s been a hodgepodge, really. And I love it all. I’d never give it up,” he said. “I’ve seen some pretty amazing stuff.”