Letter to the editor: Vote for Chris Hoffman for Dane County Board District 5

My name is Chris Hoffman and I’m running to be the District 5 County Board Supervisor because I want to represent your voice. County government offers opportunities for professional development and networking that are hugely underutilized by students. This is one of the primary reasons I am running: when elected, I will act as a liaison for students who want to further their involvement in local government. Increasing student involvement would be accomplished through student appointments to county committees and internships. Giving students these skill-building experiences is important for ensuring a long-lasting, strong connection between students and their county government. I understand the importance of utilizing the County committee system via my own appointment to the County Environmental Council. However, there is one pressing issue that I will address further: campus safety.

Imagine you are in a friend’s apartment on a Friday night, perhaps one that is just off University Avenue, and he is hosting a party. Your night is going well, but then you notice that one of your friends is lying face-down on one of the couches. You’re not quite sure what to do. You roll him on his side to check his breathing, but you can’t hear anything. “I don’t want to call the police. I can’t get an underage,” says someone nearby. You could monitor him and hope for the best, but what happens if you decide to make the call and receive emergency medical attention?

This situation is unfortunately all too common: a life at stake but there is indecision among the bystanders because they fear the consequences. Fortunately, I know of two policies that could improve student safety and even save lives. I made sure to testify alongside fellow student leaders at a hearing for Senate Bill 222 last week, which would provide amnesty for the caller and victim of alcohol poisoning in the aforementioned situation. By offering immunity, this policy would encourage students to make the right choice and get medical help for those who have over-consumed and whose life is at risk.

Additionally, we need to ensure a rapid response from our emergency services.  It has recently come to my attention that the county has been experiencing problems with their 911 Call Center after a spike in complaints following a software upgrade. The center has an average dispatch response of 3 minutes and 10 seconds compared to the national average of 1 minute. Furthermore, the City of Madison has threatened to sue the county if these issues are not addressed. Our current supervisor has ignored this public safety crisis and cries for reform. I will address these issues as your supervisor and strive to advance campus safety as it affects all of us.

I have heard from students across the district how concerned they are for their safety and wellbeing. As your District 5 Supervisor, I will be an accessible advocate who would address issues that directly impact campus and our community. I hope to have your vote on April 1st.

Chris Hoffman is a Senior and Candidate for Dane County Board District 5. He can be reached at CollegiatesforChris@gmail.com.