Judge Doyle Square Committee selects development proposal

The Judge Doyle Square Committee selected a developer and drafted a resolution for the construction of Judge Doyle Square at a meeting Monday.

The committee voiced unanimous support of Madison-based JDS Development’s proposal over Journeyman’s proposal. Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said the committee chose JDS Development based on the developer’s design vision and the equity they bring to the project.

“We were really blessed with two development teams that were clearly qualified to take on the project,” Verveer said.

The committee amended nine points to the draft proposal, including keeping the Madison Municipal Building in use, requiring compatibility between new structures and surrounding buildings in addition to requiring the construction of a 250-room hotel.

Community members expressed concern about a lack of communication between the community and the committee and voiced their wish to slow the project and outline specific public benefits.

However, Ald. Mark Clear, District 19, told the committee to “be bold” and “be daring” in their decision making, expressing his support of the project.

Ald. Shiva Bidar-Sielaff, District 5, said she wants the project to embody the idea of a design that “creates a space for all Madison citizens to engage and interact.”

When faced with opposition, Bidar-Sielaff said the committee should take action despite the difficulty of doing so and asked the committee to take the challenge.

“We do need to have this conversation,” Bidar-Sielaff said.

The committee will send the draft resolution and recommendation of the project to the Madison Common Council for approval.