Sen. Dale Schultz announces he will not run for re-election

Wisconsin state Sen. Dale Schultz, R-Richland Center, announced Monday he will not run for re-election in November.

Schultz said a lack of family time as well as other business interests, culminated in his decision to not run.

“Politicians, like professional actors and professional athletes, tend to stay one season too long,” Schultz said. “Better that the people ask you to stay than the other way around.”

A number of legislators on the other side of the aisle responded with positive remarks on Schultz’s work in office. State Sen. Tim Cullen, D-Janesville, praised Schultz saying his departure would leave a “lasting void” in the state Senate.

“The sad reality is that we seem to have gotten to a point in Madison where representing your district and your conscience takes a back seat to supporting your party,” Cullen said in a statement. “Dale would never embrace that philosophy.”

State Sen. Bob Jauch, D-Poplar, expressed remorse over Schultz’s decision not to run for re-election.

“Like so many who admire Dale, I am disappointed that the public will lose an elected official who has so much integrity, dignity and will stand for what is right,”Jauch said in statement.

He also mentioned Schultz’s willingness to participate in bipartisan politics.

“Like few others he has been willing to put partisan politics aside as he sought solutions to do what is right for the collective will of the citizens of Wisconsin,” Jauch said.

U.S. Rep. Mark Pocan, D-Wisc., echoed Jauch’s supportive sentiments.

“[I] always greatly respected Dale for his work ethic, his passion, and his willingness to work in a bipartisan manner and put his constituents first,” Pocan said. 

Schultz has served in the Wisconsin State Legislature for 32 years.