Common Council approves of State Street redesign and public safety grant

Madison Common Council gathered Tuesday evening to approve the redesign of the 700 and 800 blocks of State Street and authorize a $60,000 grant from the Wisconsin Department of Transportation for alcohol enforcement in 2014.

City alders came to a unanimous decision to move forward with the redesign of the 700 and 800 blocks on State Street. Although plans to redesign State Street were approved, city leaders will still have to decide on construction contracts later in the spring, according to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4.

The new designs for the area focus on improving foot and bike traffic, while providing an aesthetically pleasing environment. Amenities to foot and bike traffic designs include widening the 700 block to provide a 24-foot-wide walkway with 12-foot-wide outer lanes to accommodate public seating, lighting and vending space. Bike traffic will be improved with 8-foot-wide lanes on the outermost lanes from the foot of Bascom Hill to Lake Street.

Additional plans to improve the area include combining the parallel staircases at the foot of Bascom into one wide stairwell down the center emptying onto the widened foot path.

Other plans for the area include the construction of a 30 foot LED illuminated maple leaf statue at the intersection of East Campus Mall and State Street, which was discussed at previous State Street Project Oversight Design Committee meetings. The structure was initially proposed by University of Wisconsin-Madison alumna, Jill Sebastian, who wanted to express reverence to the campus with Wisconsin’s state tree, the sugar maple.

The council also authorized the Mayor, City Clerk and Chief of Police to accept a $60,000 grant from the Wisconsin Department of Transportation for alcohol enforcement in 2014. Additionally, each year local police agencies are granted funds for overtime dedicated to the enforcement of traffic violations.

The grants are meant to contribute to fewer impaired drivers, reduce excessive vehicle speed and ensure that all citizens in the city of Madison are driving safely with seat belts.