Classified Staff Executive Committee discusses bylaws, future congress

University of Wisconsin-Madison’s Classified Staff Executive Committee deliberated over the group’s bylaws and the structure of the committee’s future congress at a meeting Thursday.

CSEC made several changes to an existing draft of the bylaws, including establishing more complete definitions for the duties of various committees and chairs.

Following Thursday’s discussion, the committee hopes to finalize the bylaws at its meeting next week, but noted its main priority is creating a set of guidelines that will likely change as the group evolves.

CSEC member Terry Fritter stressed his commitment to the flexibility and fluidity of the bylaws.

“I keep hearing this is a living document and I believe it,” Fritter said. “Let’s make sure we’re not strangling it.”

Another point of conversation centered on deciding upon measures for allocating delegates for the classified staff congress. CSEC members focused on diversity and ensuring all factions have equal representation.

The four criteria discussed were the employment category, time of shifts, work location and job title of potential future representatives.

Several committee members supported creating districts of delegates based on job title, while others found geography more important and fair.

The committee mentioned that while dividing districts by location may make representatives more accessible to certain members of their sector, other factors such as language barriers must also be considered.

CSEC member Ron Pond said employees who are non-native speakers “already [have] two strikes against them, so geography has to weigh in somewhere.”

Furthermore, CSEC member Mary Czynszak-Lyne said each sector of 50 or less members should be guaranteed one representative, with another delegate allotted for every 50 additional members.

CSEC’s next meeting will be Thursday, Feb. 6 at 2 p.m. in Bascom Hall.