State Voter ID law challenged in federal court

Wisconsin’s Voter ID law began the first steps of a legal challenge in federal court Monday with challengers to the law arguing it disenfranchises low-income and minority voters.

The 2011 Republican law was originally passed as a way to cut down on voter fraud in elections, but opponents cited low-income and minority individuals, who generally vote for Democratic candidates in elections, often have a hard time obtaining a state ID that could be accepted under the law.

The legal challenge playing out in court alleges the law violates the Constitution’s guarantee of equal protection under the law as well as the Voting Rights Act, which is designed to protect minority voters.

State Sen. Mary Lazich, R-New Berlin, who has been heavily involved in election-related state laws, said in a statement she believes the lawsuit will vindicate the law. 

“I am confident that after the testimony is heard and evidence is provided, Wisconsin’s Voter ID Law will be found constitutional by the Court,” Lazich said in a statement. “I look forward to the day people of Wisconsin will have confidence in our elections and election process.”