State Department of Workforce Development prepares to issue Wisconsin Fast Forward grants

Gov. Scott Walker announced Wednesday the state Department of Workforce Development will now begin accepting applications for workforce development grants called Wisconsin Fast Forward grants.

The grants are designed to allow technical colleges and statewide organizations engaged in job-related skill development to increase training for employees who may be able to fill needs that are lacking in industries. The needs result from a statewide skills gap, which exists because current employees lack specific skills employers in industries such as construction and manufacturing are looking to have in newly hired workers.

The state Office of Skills Development within the DWD will approve all Fast Forward grants, according to a statement from Walker. The governor said he hopes the grants will have positive results for a manufacturing sector that is already growing in the state.

A separate portion of the Wisconsin Fast Forward idea is to track employment developments and keep information available for employees and employers in the state in an effort to match job seekers with interested business owners.

Walker said the up-to-date employment information is important to maintaining a developing workforce.

“By providing quality worker training and cutting-edge labor market information, our workers will be best equipped to re-enter the workforce in places where opportunities are available,” Walker said in the statement.

State Sen. Robert Cowles, R-Green Bay, who co-sponsored the Wisconsin Fast Forward program bill while it was moving through the state Legislature last year, said in a statement the program is a “concrete plan” that will help support jobs in the state. 

“Wisconsin has made a major investment in developing better worker training and providing a wide range of innovative educational opportunities for workers, and this plan takes a major step towards making Wisconsin a leader in workforce development technology and training,” Cowles said in the statement.