SSFC significantly reduces funding for WISPIRG in 2014-’15 budget decision

The Associated Students of Madison Student Services Finance Committee decided on a $22,481 budget for Wisconsin Student Public Interest Research Group for the 2015 fiscal year Monday, significantly reducing funding for the group’s salaries.

WISPIRG is a student-funded organization that aims to get students involved in seeking answers to social problems, according to its website.

WISPIRG Chair Mariella Treleven presented the group’s proposed budget to SSFC committee members at a budget hearing Thursday. The organization was looking to receive funding of $163,151.50.

The main issue SSFC members had with the group’s presented budget concerned the salary line item.

Many committee members questioned the fact that people who are not staff members or students of the university were listed as recipients of the organization’s salary.

Rep. Devon Maier reminded committee members that SSFC cannot legally fund the salaries of people who are working outside the university. Despite some SSFC members opposing the law, Maier said it should be a “no brainer” that the committee should not approve the budget in its current state.

“Whether or not you agree with [the laws] … currently it isn’t legal to fund this,” Maier said.

The committee cut around $72,000 from the total salaries line, as well as other smaller increments from various line items.

The budget for WISPIRG was ultimately decided upon at $22,481, with a vote of 5-0 with 2 abstentions.

“All I can really say at this point is that we're obviously disappointed in the decision tonight and that we are looking in to our next steps moving forward,” Treleven said.

SSFC also heard a 2014-’15 budget proposal from Promoting Awareness, Victim Empowerment.

According to the organization’s website, PAVE’s mission is to end sexual violence before it occurs.

The group is looking to receive funding of $81,648.88, which is a 6.46 percent decrease in last year’s budget, Chair Alyssa Jarocki said.

The committee will make a decision of PAVE’s budget at SSFC’s next meeting, which will be Monday Dec. 2.