11192013ssfc

Andrew Mangham, co-director of the Greater University Tutoring Service, speaks Monday in open forum and explains certain parts of its 2014-’15 budget. The budget was approved 8-0.

SSFC Approves Greater University Tutoring Service’s 2014-’15 Budget

The Associated Students of Madison Student Services Finance Committee approved the Greater University Tutoring Service’s 2014-’15 budget in a unanimous decision Monday.

According to its website, GUTS is a student organization that provides free tutors to help students with academic work, study skills and intercultural communication.

“I am pretty comfortable with most of this budget,” Representative Devon Maier said. “They thought it through quite a bit.”

SSFC approved the $148,762.06 budget 8-0 with one abstention.

SSFC heard a funding request from Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlán. MEChA is an organization that believes political involvement and education is the way to change the Chicano society, according to the MEChA website. The group sponsors many events such as La Bienvenida, a welcome event for students, organizations and staff at the beginning of the year.

Numerous MEChA facilitators and coordinators presented a budget of $95,219, which is $64,000 less than last year.

MEChA members faced many issues, such as relocation and renovations within their new location due to asbestos. SSFC members were concerned that these issues could impact the functionality of programs. According to MEChA presenters, the programs are still running smoothly.

SSFC will decide on MEChA’s final budget Thursday.

SSFC members also passed the Campus Services Process Legislation, which will provide a student-directed, professional staff-supported organization that “helps students address problems facing our society,” according to the legislation. SSFC Chair David Vines will appoint a procurement board compiled of ASM representatives that will evaluate the next steps for the request.